In accordance with the requirements of the new GDPR rules, we have set out below what personal data we hold / who we share it with / how we intend to use the information.
The lawful basis we have under these regulations for processing any personal data is (6) Legitimate Interests, ie it is used where it is necessary in order to run the ChargerPoints service.
The data we collect or receive and how we use it
- Registered site visitors are our primary audience with ‘individuals rights’ under the new GDPR regulations.
See below for further details on what personal data is collected and how and why it is used.
Registration on the site or the app is optional, and is used to give site visitors access venue vouchers and the rewards system. It also enables use of enhanced features such as ‘favourites’, adding Reviews etc.
We collect your name and email address when you register on ChargerPoints to access vouchers, the rewards system, and to add venues to your Favourites. We may contact you from time to time via this email address (or by text) when we have something important or interesting to share with you, eg new venues, offers and vouchers in your region. You may ask us at any time not to contact you if you wish.
We also store the record of points awarded to you as part of the Points system, and you can track this from your account on our website.
Any additional profile information is optional and entered only by users, should they wish, in order to enable interaction with others on the site. This information can be viewed, amended and deleted directly by the user at any time.
NOTE: It is not possible for non-registered users of the ChargerPoints site and app to participate in the above activities.
Disclosure / sharing of personal information
Any information about you, including contact details (as opposed to aggregated or anonymised user behaviour data), that we gather while operating our Site shall not be tracked or otherwise used by The Big Media House (except for internal reporting, accounting or compliance purposes) without your informed consent.
We may also use this information to generate aggregated, anonymised data for the purposes of internal reporting, insight and analysis, enabling us to improve our Site and the services we offer.
Any of your information, including contact details, gathered while operating our Site shall not be sold to third parties.
The personal information you enter when registering on our Site or that we collect when you use our Site is confidential and except in the circumstances mentioned below, we will not disclose it to any third party.
We may disclose the information described to a third party in the following circumstances:
- Where the registration information processed is used for purposes such as booking a charger or accessing a voucher to participate in the services provided by a specific third party venue or vendor
- If required or permitted to do so by law;
- If required to do so by any court, the Financial Conduct Authority or any other applicable regulatory, compliance, governmental or law enforcement agency;
- If necessary in connection with legal proceedings or potential legal proceedings;
- In line with our own Terms and Conditions of Use (in particular Clause 8.10 regarding reporting offending Forum users to their ISP or to the authorities if their actions appear to amount to a crime);
Individuals’ rights under GDPR legislation
1. Access to your personal information
Under GDPR legislation you have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected.
2. To have inaccuracies corrected
3. To have information erased – note, this may prevent the user from participating in certain aspects of the website or app
4. To prevent direct marketing – we may notify registered users of new venues and closures, as well as relevant offers and vouchers and other news.
We will discontinue this service to a user if requested, and marketing emails will contain an ‘Unsubscribe’ link.
5. To prevent automated decision-making and profiling – this functionality is limited to users who choose to participate in the Social Circle elements of the website
(eg the Match by Menu facility) and users can either amend or delete their information, or can request to have their information changed and/or deleted
6. Data portability – If a user requests a copy of the personal information held about them in ChargerPoints, we will provide this within a month of the written request
(This information will be provided to them electronically and in a commonly used format such as email)
7. The right to object – If a user believes that personal information is not being dealt with, corrected or deleted according to their wishes, they are welcome to contact
ChargerPoints to discuss and agree the appropriate action. In addition, individuals have the right to complain to the ICO if you think there is a problem with the way we are handling their data.
Data retention periods
There is no set retention period for any personal data held, it will remain until/unless the user who entered it wishes it to be discontinued.
If a user requests that their personal information should be deleted, ChargerPoints will comply within 24 hours of receiving a written request.
This enables us to validate that the request has come from a legitimate source, with a right to make the request. We may require you to prove your identity with two pieces of approved identification.
Please address requests and questions to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you want to see more information about GDPR, this is a useful link:
Click here – opens in a new window
A ‘cookie’ is a small text file that’s stored on your computer, tablet or phone when you visit a website.
When you visit a site that uses Chameleon software, like ChargerPoints, a cookie is used to set the preferred user interface. This enables us to send you the view we believe will make our sites the most readable and easy to navigate for the device you are using. If you have the option to change the setting, this preference would be stored instead, so that you can continue to get the view you want.
If you want to learn more about cookies, what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.aboutcookies.org. Alternatively, you can search the internet for other independent information on cookies.
Changes to these policies
This policy is effective from 1 August 2019.